Thursday, April 26, 2012

Damn it feels good to be a gangstahh

As I routinely jog clockwise around the track against the current flow of traffic consisting of walkers, runners and a baby jogger (grr), a gentleman explains to his wifey, “I think we’re going the wrong way!” As he starts to do a 180 degree turn I quickly explain with a smile, “no I just warm up backwards, you’re headed in the right direction.” With that said they both laugh and trot off in the correct direction as I move on.

My reasoning behind warming up clockwise is to offset the ever consistent flow of the counterclockwise direction most runners run…in my mind balancing out the track, if you will. If this sounds nonsensical to you, it’s because it is.

Several laps go by and I pass the couple again. I whip my head around to check out his jacket. The inscription reads “1990-something Boston Marathon.” I felt as though I was judging another runner for doubting themselves about which direction to run. How could he not know? Isn’t it a known thing among runner’s to run counterclockwise on a track?

I realize that just because he’s a marathoner doesn’t mean he’s actually worked out or raced on a track. This reminds me of what I am. In that moment I feel that pang of super strength that finely tuned competitive athletes feel. I can’t help but think to myself; damn, it feels good to be a track athlete!

~Jen Dagan

No comments:

Post a Comment