Monday, April 9, 2012

My conversation with a Scot

Taking one of my many 100 meter bouts I come across the line cruising in a planned deceleration over the next few steps. As I stop and shake out the legs, a well dressed man playing soccer with his son peps up,” What are you guys training for?”

“What?” I reply quizzically.

“Are you guys part of a club or something?” He continues with earnest interest.

“Oh, yeah GBTC, are you from around here?” I reply as an accent is apparent.

“Nah, Scotland, I would see runners’ running like this back there but this is the first time here, it’s impressive.” This is said in an honest and almost patient way.

“Oh thank you.” Flattered a little I say with the slight upturn to the left side of my mouth.

“No, you both keep it up, it is impressive.” He says with that slow clear way.

“Oh, oh, thank you, thank you, take care.” I say with a smile and a wave.

“Take care.” He says again kicking the ball back to his boy.

Bashfully, and content in a way, I jog away.

No comments:

Post a Comment