Tuesday, May 3, 2011

strides

Strides. Mini workouts snuck in twice a week in the middle or at the end of easy runs. We use them after easy running, as part of our warm up, but finishing the last one five or ten minutes before a 1500 or 800 race or workout. They are 15 to 40 seconds long and can vary from 10k pace to as fast as 800pace. The first two or three will normally be around 5k-1500 pace progressing towards 800 pace on our last one or two. We will do as many as six but far more often do four. Around 10pm tonight, chucking along to greet me, Jen will wait to do her strides until I take the bag she is toting home from work. I will start to mix in strides after the first six or seven minutes of easy running. This is sooner in the run then I normally add in strides but I want to accomplish them without the bag Jen is wearing now. One stride starting every two minutes (so around 90sec rest) with mellow running in between each stride gets me ready for the next one. When I see the led light’s friendly approach, Jen’s patient and sure breath piping her along with bag underneath a reflector vest, I will do my last stride. This will be fun and exact, joyous legs whirl quickly stepping lightly pavement bounces me forward with one light hearted thought; together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment