Saturday, June 11, 2011

Season’s end?

My season seems so fragile. Months of hard work marginalized through a few weeks of carelessness. The knot in my calf exploded in half as I took my first step at the Milk Mile today. Walking the way to the finish, cursing the sun, the advice Jen gave me, then Jen for not running to see what was wrong, but mostly just myself. How could I be so stupid, so careless? After running with Jen to the second half of her workout, a quick set of 3 x 300, I had let the fact that my season might be over set in as a real possibility.

After the race, when Jen had gone to receive the award she had won with a 5:12 road mile, I stayed home, stretched and let my mind make sense of the morning’s turn of events and all the weeks that had led up to it. By the time Jen had returned and we started jogging to the track, we were both laughing and at ease. She banged out a couple of 54’s then a 53 and we joked in between, with me doing strides and feeling out my calf’s knot. The very real possibility is that my season might be over, but it also might not. Rest, recovery, therapy and a comeback plan might have me ready for the Maine State Games on the 25th and subsequent races ending on the 17th of July. Either way, it’s not the end. Ha, I take wonder at the athlete at the "end". Where is it? The great way I see, is one with no end but me always on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment