Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday my great friend the U.S. of A.

Waking up at 7:30am and dismissing the idea of doing a morning workout before I’m out of bed, a real hopelessness grips me. I feel that the workout won’t go well, the primary reason I am shouldering the workout from this morning to this afternoon. A large part of me is debating calling this year, taking a break from running and then starting the next years training. My calf injury is getting better, but running a decent 800meter race seems so far away and there is less than two weeks for my last shot. Jen is doing a 3k race today and is going about her pre competition routine.

It may have been there all along, but then it strikes me that using the 3k as a workout would be a fun way to get the work done while participating in a community event. Part of me worries that it might exasperate the calf’s knot, but then I think if it does viola, I will take my break now. Telling Jen the racing decision is like lifting a weight off my shoulders and hers. She seems happier the rest of the time and reminds me again, “Take it easy, just do a good workout” moments before the gun goes off for the Walter Hunt 3k.

The race is done in a flash. Sticking to the plan, I take it out comfortably hard and don’t open it up until the last 300meters or so finishing in 9:03. Jen also sticks to the plan and kicks some ass with a 9:52. Later that afternoon comes the second half of today’s test. Jen is doing 3 x 300 and I am doing 3 x 200. She bangs them out in 53, 53 and 54 while I go 29, 28 and 28. My calf still not a 100% but I feel back with it, I feel free!

No comments:

Post a Comment