Wednesday, July 13, 2011

…or leave it

So the season is over, maybe I should have immediately taken a break once my calf got hurt. I definitely should have been stretching the weeks leading up to the injury and I can’t believe I let socializing get away from me. But it isn’t a complete bust. It may have been a time trial but I did break the season’s goal of 158.8 with a running start 800 in 158.4. I also ran a 25.00 200meter, I had two watches timing me, at the end of practice and this is also a big practice pr. As for actual races, I ran a 16:19 certified course 5k that was over rolling hills with wind, so would have been between a 15:40-15:50 on the track or over a flat fast course. The nice thing about the 5k was that it was a workout, I was training for the 800, and that is where the true potential of my season lay.

Post collegiate track races are hard to come by in upstate Maine and I dropped the ball, got injured and had to sit out of the two real track meets I could have done. However, in practice, I ran some really great workouts and I know I had the potential this season to do really good things if I played my cards a little smarter with socializing. This season’s optimistic goal of 1:56.6 was within striking distance but it is moot. I messed up and missed my chance, this year. Tomorrow starts the next training year and with a move to Boston sometime soon, than the next indoor and outdoor seasons will have many more racing opportunities to pick from. So, it wasn't the season it could have been, but it never really had many racing opportunities. For a season, I guess I’ll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment