Friday, July 15, 2011

Day # 1

Wind trainer. Ha, should be called windless trainer. Essentially a mount for the rear of a bicycle, which allows that wheel to have resistance, and turns it into a freestanding, immovable, exercise bike. Why would you do this? For most to train indoors, but for this guy, to remove unnecessary thinking from the doing. I was never very suave with bike skills, and all I want to do is to start working hard. So I started today, Thursday the 14th of July, day #1 of my upcoming year of training.

This year will have an indoor season and culminate, healthy and competing hopefully, with an outdoor season. Both will be in the Boston area, allowing many post collegiate track races. The next few weeks will involve cross training until my calf is at 100%. With the last few weeks so easy, in hopes to compete on the 17th, I am sick of relaxing. I want to work. It is so damn frustrating to not be able to run the way I want, but now that it is the beginning of the year there is so much else I can work on.

Today, I sat on a bike hooked to a wind trainer in my yard. Spinning away for thirty minutes, dogs controlled breathing to regulate their body temperatures keeping company with mine to regulate blood flow. At night I aggressively stretch, akin to yoga, in a way that is its own workout. Over the next four months I will do a bunch of races, from 5k to maybe a half marathon again, for training and for fun. However, my real focus for the next 4months will be the 200-400meter.

They will have no races, which is fine. Of all the things to time trial sprints are the easiest. That is why for training and fun I will do other races; to stay in touch with that sometimes chaotic scene, full of frenzied and patient energy. The total lack of control over start time, the futile glances at slow moving lines to the port a potties and the constant chatter of people; the 30minutes pre-race! I find that if you train real well, even time trial damn good, if you don’t race ever then when you get there you aren’t quite ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment